Prep 45 mins
Cook 17 mins
I got this recipe off the AOL food boards quite some time ago. It was posted by Teri and it quickly became a favorite.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Boil sweet potatoes in water until tender; drain. Cool slightly and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange the slices in a greased, broiler-proof 13x9 baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar, salt, orange zest, pepper, orange juice, and vanilla stirring until combined. Heat but do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat and brush sauce evenly over potato slices.
- Broil 6 inches from heat until golden, about 6 or 7 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans.
A very nice sweet potato dish. Just make sure to use pure vanilla not extract.