Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Got this in a King's booklet. Would make a nice gift or take-along to work for the hungry co-workers that exist everywhere!
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pitted dates (4 oz)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Streusel: Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and lightly flour a 10x5" loaf pan (or 3 mini loaf pans).
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then break into large pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt; stir in the butter and add the pecans, squeezing mixture into large crumbs. Set aside.
- Bread: In a small saucepan, bring the milk and dates to a simmer; let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Blend in the milk-date mixture and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture all at once and blend on low speed until batter is smooth.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan; sprinkle with streusel. Bake 45-55 minutes, or until golden, risen, and a toothpick tests out with a few moist crumbs attatched to it.
- Let cool for 20 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over the warm bread and cool completely.
- Store leftovers wrapped in foil and kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- *The batter can be spread in 3 6x3" loaf pans and baked for 45 minutes at 375*F. The mini loave make nice additions to brunch tables.*.