Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Bissap is enjoyed in Mali and west Africa in general. Whether hot or cold, the flavor is bright, fruity, with a punch of ginger smoothed out by a velvety splash of vanilla. Be sure to serve the bissap with a few pieces of cubed mango. This recipe is by Sasha Martin.
- 8 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons vanilla extract sugar, to taste
- Boil 8 cups of water in a pot. Remove from heat.
- Add hibiscus, ginger, vanilla extract, and a small dusting of sugar.
- Let steep a few minutes.