Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is in my newer Better Homes and Garden cookbook, I made this cake for my daughter's birthday and my son asks for it often! It is so incredibly easy as well. I also have a Chocolate chip icing to drizzle on top and it is so good!! Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, Softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄4 cups sour milk
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate flavored syrup or 3⁄4 cup cocoa
For the Icing
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and lightly flour a baking pan. In a meduim bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside for later.
- In a large mxing bowl, beat the butter with electric beater for about 1 minute. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time to mix them in well.
- Alternately, mix in the flour and the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Use a rubber spatula to ensure all is mixed well.
- Reserve 2 Cups of the batter. Add the chocolate syrup or cocoa powder to the batter and stir well.
- Pour the vanilla batter into the prepared pan. Pour the chocolate batter to the top of the vanilla batter, Do not Mix!
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool for about 20 minutes and remove the cake from the pan. Continue on to the icing.
- To make the icing, in a small sauce pan, heat the chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla over low heat until melted. Drizzle the icing immedietly to the cake. You may also decorate with colored sprinkles for some color!