Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Fruit salad for a big crowd! Creamy and delicious-make this the night before so it has time to get nice and cold. "Cooking" time listed is actually "chilling" time for the completed dish.
- 5 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks (reserve juice!)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 4 (5 1/8 ounce) boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
- 8 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 10 red apples, chopped
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Place pudding mix in large bowl.
- Measure pineapple juice, and add as much water as needed to make 6 cups.
- Stir pineapple juice into pudding mix until thickened, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Fold fruit into pudding.
- Divide fruit salad into four 13 x 9 inch pans that have been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (like Pam)--each pan should hold about 8 cups of fruit salad.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
I love this recipe. I also saw it in TOH. I've made this for a crowd at church and adjusted things for just my family (8-10 servings). I just submitted a correction in that there should be 5 cans of 20 oz. and 1 of 8 oz for the pineapple chunks. That was initally omitted and just stated 28 ounces which would not be enough. To make this for 8-10, use 1 20 oz. can and 1 8 oz can pineapple chunks; 1 pk. instant vanilla pudding, 2 15 oz. cans mandarin oranges, 3 medium sized apples - mix according to recipe.
Made it for a work breakfast potluck and everyone loved it! It was so quick and easy to make as well!