Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Park Hyatt Los Angeles. Published in Bon Appetit, July 2007.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lb loaf brioche bread or 1 lb egg bread, ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 12 slices
- 3⁄4 cup apple butter
- 4 large peaches, halved, pitted, cut into 1/3-inch thick slices, divided
- warm pure maple syrup
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Vanilla Butter:.
- Place butter and vanilla extract in small bowl. Scrape seeds from one vanilla bean piece. Whisk to blend. (Can be made up to 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- French Toast:.
- Place eggs and next 4 ingredients in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from remaining vanilla bean piece. Whisk batter to blend.
- Place bread slices on work surface; spread with apple butter. Reserve 1/4 of peach slices for garnish. Arrange remaining peach slices over 6 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices, apple butter side down.
- Melt 2 tablespoons vanilla butter in heavy large skillet. Transfer 3 sandwiches to skillet. Cook until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per slide. Transfer to plates. Repeat with remaining 3 sandwiches.
- Spread thin layer of remaining vanilla butter over each sandwich; cut in half diagonally. Drizzle with warm maple syrup. Scatter reserved peach slices over; sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with whipped cream if desired.
I'm very partial to recipes like these, whether jazzed up French toast or bread puddings that are a cut above the rest! This recipe is definitely that & not at all difficult to put together, either! A winning recipe that I'll be happy to make again, whether for company of just for ourselves! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This is the absolute best french toast recipe I have ever encountered. If someone is lucky enought to have you make it for them for breakfast, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will fall inlove with you!