2 hrs 5 mins
I thought this looked pretty promising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast (or quick-acting yeast)
- 1/8 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour.
- 2Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- 4Turn dough onto floured surface. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick.
- 5Cut with round cookie cutter. Cover and let rise on floured baking sheets until double, 30-40 minutes.
- 6Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as they turn golden brown, about one minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surfaces) and drain.
- 7When cool, make small hole to insert vanilla filling (recipe follows) . Take a sharp narrow knife and carefully make a large cavity inside of the doughnut to hold the filling. Fill the doughnuts generously and dust heavily with confectioners' sugar.
- 8Vanilla Filling: Cream butter and shortening, gradually add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add milk and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy. Will keep for 2 weeks in airtight, refrigerated container.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Filled Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.7
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.1 mg
- Sodium 138.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g