Recipe by Rita~
Sweet fig goodness with a warming hint of vanilla. Use to fill cookies, cakes top a slice of toast or a grilled pork or chicken... Check this thread for step x step directions and photos http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=226477
Top Review by lisabrody
This was so easy and good. I am in Seattle and my figs ripen with green skins , so i peeled most of the skins off.(I think they are Desert Figs). I used Vanilla sugar and a little Apricot Brandy and Vanilla extract. So good!
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 largelemon, juice and zest , meat diced
- 2 lbs fresh figs, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup limoncello or 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot place sugar, vanilla pod and the seeds into the figs, lemon juice, zest and meat of lemon. Do squeeze any juice from the peels into the sugar and figs.
- Stir to release juices it will be thick. Simmer over low heat stirring not to burn. Juices will come and when it does raise heat to high stirring most of the time.
- When it hits a rolling boil for 15 minutes all the time stirring add liquor cook 1 minute.
- Pour into sterile jars and process 10 minutes.
- Optional for those that like it smoother without chunks you can blend thee figs before adding to sugar or use an immersion blender while cooking.