1/3 Photos of Vanilla Extract (Cooks Illustrated)
From the Sept/Oct 2009 issue. Cooks Illustrated suggests that a non-premium vodka, such as Smirnoffs, is just fine. According to their tests, this ratio outperformed commercial vanilla extracts.
My Private Note
- 1Split a vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place in a 1-cup sealable container.
- 2Very carefully and slowly, heat the vodka in a medium or large saucepan- the fumes can catch fire, so you want to be sure nothing flammable is nearby.
- 3Pour the hot vodka into the container. Cool to room temperature.
- 4Seal and store at room temperature for one week, shaking gently every day.
- 5Strain, if desired, and store in cool, dark place.
- 6The extract should keep indefinitely.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Extract (Cooks Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: