Prep 20 mins
Cook 2160 hrs
This recipe makes a huge amount of vanilla and I always start it in August to give as Holiday Gifts. I get my Vanilla beans from Atlantic Spice, www.atlanticspice.com, they are the most reasonable. A 4 ounce package has between 25-30 beans and I use the whole package to a 1/2 gallon of the cheapest Vodka I can find.
- 20 vanilla beans (I use the entire bag of 25-30 vanilla beans)
- 1⁄2 gallon vodka
- 1 gallon glass jar (I bought a gallon of cheap red wine and used it for cooking)
- Split open the vanilla beans with a sharp knife.
- Add vanilla beans to the vodka.
- Seal bottle and shake well.
- Store bottle in dark space.
- Turn bottle upside down at least once a week.
- Cure mixture for at least 3 months.
- Pour into small dark bottles, makes a terrific Holiday gift that everyone loves.
I make my own Vanilla Extract using 6 beans to 4 cups of booze. It makes a good extract. This recipe here makes a more potent batch than mine. If you are pondering what to make for presents (doesn't have to be Christmas), you can think about using this recipe. If you don't have enough vodka, you can use brandy or rum to make up the amount which gives a really good aroma! Don't forget to shake the bottle(s) occasionally and before you start dispensing. This is so that the vanilla oil floating on the top get mixed back to the extract.
I can't find vanilla extract where I live, so I was glad to find this recipe. I'm using this extract in kitchen and in bath products. It's great!