Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple yellow cake that is easy to make and very tasty. It can also be cut into slices and served with fruit.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Prepare cake pan: Line 8-inch round or square cake pan with parchment paper and grease bottom and sides of the pan. Then flour the pan.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add vegetable oil, soy milk, and vanilla extract; whisk until no lumps appear and batter is smooth.
- Add vinegar, stir about seven times, and quickly pour into pan.
- Bake around 30 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from sides and/or toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean.
- Let sit for ten to fifteen minutes, invert, and cool on rack.
Wow! I made this as a last minute dessert for me on Thanksgiving, and it turned out FANTASTIC! I am lactose intolerant and having trouble digesting eggs, so to find a cake recipe that has neither of those and tastes great is just a Godsend for me.
The only thing I did differently was that I used Almond Milk instead of Soy Milk, personal preference, and I used just a pinch of cocoa powder. It turned out GREAT! It even lasted without proper containment for a week, and it STILL tasted amazing. I will definitely be this cake again. Tonight, even I think, I'm craving something sweet. ;)
this is a cake that is so versatile that you could literally eat the same basic cake - changing the flavourings - forever! i doubled the recipe(except for the oil, where i used half cup only, added grated rind from one orange, used the juice of the orange mixed with the double quantity of milk required and lessened the sugar to 1 1/2cups(personal preference, i dont like v.sweet cakes) and used 1tblspn orange extract instead of vanilla. it was BRILLIANT. will experiment and try lemon flavoring, coconut, chocolate or banana , etc.etc. etc. list is endless.you are only limited by your imagination and whatever you happen to have in your cupboard at that particular time. i really couldnt fault it in ANY respect. THANKS FOR POSTING.
My son has multiple food allergies. He isn't vegan, but he's allergic to milk and eggs and nuts, so I had to make his smash cake myself. I tried to "veganize" other recipes, but they all fell apart. I followed your recipe, but I used rice milk and I tripled the ingredients so I had 2 cakes and cupcakes. I nearly cried when it came out of the pans intact! The cake was light and fluffy. And it rises! It actually rises in the oven and it doesn't sink in after it comes out. It isn't overwhelmingly sweet, and it is perfect with a vegan fluffy "buttercream." Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'll be making it again and again. I'll post a picture. It was blue with Cheerios, and he loved it!