Recipe by drhousespcatcher
From Herbal Companion. A good use for the vanilla vinegar. It will fly with no fat yogurt mixed with some no fat mayo in place of the mayo
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 large apples
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup dried cherries or 1⁄4 cup cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coarsely chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple syrup or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: use 1 to 2 tsp maple syrup or sugar and 2 to 3 tsp vinegar to taste.
- Scrub celery and slice. Scrub apples, remove core and seeds and slice. Toss celery and apple together in a bowl. Add currants and nuts and toss.
- In a separate small bowl, combine mayo, salt, syrup or sugar and vanilla vinegar and blend well.
- Toss dressing with celery and apple until coated and taste for seasoning; adjust with a little more mayo, sugar or vinegar.
- It should be tangy with a hint of sweetness.
- Let stand for 10 or 15 minutes before serving or refrigerate until almost ready to serve and then allow the salad to come to cool room temperature before serving.