Recipe by Chef Gorete
A beautiful looking custard cream filled cake that is extremely light and flavourful. Guests will ask for seconds and thirds.
- 8 large room temperature eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (icing)
VANILLA CUSTARD FILLING
- 1 (102 g) envelope whipped dessert topping mix (makes 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (102 g) package vanilla instant pudding mix (regular not light)
- 1 cup cold milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine the egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, water and extracts in a bowl and beat at high speed until thick and lemon coloured (about 5 minutes). Stir in the flour, then set bowl aside.
- Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, beating until stiff moist peaks form.
- Gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Pull the spatula through the batter once to break large air bubbles.
- Bake for one hour or until cake tests done. Invert the tube pan on a funnel or bottle to cool. When completely cool, remove from the pan.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the cake into 3 even layers. Invert the cake so that the top of the cake, will become the bottom layer of the finished cake. Spread the Vanilla Custard Filling evenly between the layers. Dust the top of the cake with the confectioners sugar. Store finished cake in the refrigerator.
- VANILLA CUSTARD FILLING:.
- Prepare the whipped topping mix with the 1/2 cup milk and vanilla according to the package directions. Prepare the pudding according to the package instructions, but using only 1 cup milk. Fold the pudding into the topping whipped topping.