1/2 Photos of Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
Sue Lau's Note:
Always a favorite, this version is elegant and creamy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place milk in a small pan and heat over low heat until bubbles form, and milk becomes hot; add sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve.
- 2Remove from heat and add 1-2 tbsp of the hot milk to the egg yolks, mixing well; add more milk to eggs and bring it up to temperature.
- 3Pour egg mixture back into pan and continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken and reaches 160 degrees (use a thermometer to measure), about 10-12 minutes.
- 4Place the pan in a sink or basin full of ice water to cool down, continuing to stir.
- 5When custard is just barely warm, stir in the cream and vanilla.
- 6Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
- 7Just prior to making, pour through strainer into the ice cream maker and follow your appliances instructions for operating.
- 8Note: Due to differences in operating times on various machines, that is not included in the prep time.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.6
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 126.0 mg
- Sodium 57.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g