Always a favorite, this version is elegant and creamy.
Make and share this Vanilla Custard Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- Place milk in a small pan and heat over low heat until bubbles form, and milk becomes hot; add sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve.
- Remove from heat and add 1-2 tbsp of the hot milk to the egg yolks, mixing well; add more milk to eggs and bring it up to temperature.
- Pour egg mixture back into pan and continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken and reaches 160 degrees (use a thermometer to measure), about 10-12 minutes.
- Place the pan in a sink or basin full of ice water to cool down, continuing to stir.
- When custard is just barely warm, stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
- Just prior to making, pour through strainer into the ice cream maker and follow your appliances instructions for operating.
- Note: Due to differences in operating times on various machines, that is not included in the prep time.