Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
One of the French most popular dessert.
Make and share this Vanilla Custard Choux Eclair recipe from Food.com.
- 1. Vanilla Custard.
- It is always better to prepare the custard before the choux pastry. It will allow the custard to cool down few hours.
- Cut the vanilla bean in the middle and scrap the seeds with a knife tip. You could also use few drops of vanilla extract.
- Bring to boil the milk and add the vanilla bean and seeds in the boiling milk.
- Remove from heat and let infused for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl combine egg, cornflour and sugar and whisk well the mixture until it become yellow/white.
- Filter the milk through a coffee filter or sieve.
- Pour the warm milk into the previous mixture and whisk vigourously.
- Return the mixture into the saucepan under medium heat and keep stirring.
- Let boil for 3 more minutes and keep stirring.
- Remove from heat and add the diced butter. Stir until it is entirely melted.
- Pour the custard into a piping bag and let it cool down for 2 hours (first hour at room temperature and then in the fridge).
- 2. Prepare the choux pastry or buy eclair shells.
- 3. The eclairs topping.
- Prepare 3 bowls – one for each colour.
- Mix 40g of icing sugar with few drops of food colouring.
- Add slowly some water with a teaspoon. Usually 2 or 3 teaspoon of water are enough.
- Combine with a spoon and stop adding water when the mixture is thick and shiny.
- You do not want something too liquid or it will not set on the top of the eclair.
- Store in plastic bags.
- Cut a edge of the bag to use as a piping bag.
- 4.Eclairs filling and decorating.
- Drill 3 holes on the top of the eclairs and filled with vanilla custard using the piping bag.
- Place the eclairs between two baking tray to hid the sides.
- Start decorating with the topping prepared in the plastic bag.
- Swirl one colour at a time.