Recipe by moreCakePlz
This recipe came from the book 2008 Christmas with Southern Living. The muffins bake up light and moist with a faint aroma of nutmeg. The only thing that might make them better is some pecans or chopped apple. The added crunch would make them just about perfect.
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (or enough to make the glaze drizzleable (sp?)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 4 cups in a jumbo muffin pan. Fill the 2 empty cups halfway with water.
- In a large bowl stir together sugars. Add flour and nutmeg, whisking until blended. Cut butter into flour/sugar mixture with a fork until crumbly. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- Combine buttermilk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in egg. Pour over the crumb mixture remaining in large bowl. Stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter evenly into a greased jumbo muffin pan, filling 4 muffins with batter. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over batter, pressing lightly into batter.
- Bake 350 for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove cakes from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze.
- Vanilla Glaze: Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Yield 1/4 cup.