1/1 Photo of Vanilla Crumb Cakes / Muffins - Southern Living
This recipe came from the book 2008 Christmas with Southern Living. The muffins bake up light and moist with a faint aroma of nutmeg. The only thing that might make them better is some pecans or chopped apple. The added crunch would make them just about perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Grease 4 cups in a jumbo muffin pan. Fill the 2 empty cups halfway with water.
- 2In a large bowl stir together sugars. Add flour and nutmeg, whisking until blended. Cut butter into flour/sugar mixture with a fork until crumbly. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- 3Combine buttermilk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in egg. Pour over the crumb mixture remaining in large bowl. Stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 4Spoon batter evenly into a greased jumbo muffin pan, filling 4 muffins with batter. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over batter, pressing lightly into batter.
- 5Bake 350 for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove cakes from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze.
- 6Vanilla Glaze: Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Yield 1/4 cup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Crumb Cakes / Muffins - Southern Living
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.7
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 330.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 47.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g