Recipe by Gertybird's Gal
This is my favorite holiday cookie. To make them especially festive, dip one side in holiday sprinkles before baking.
Top Review by internetnut
I gave this 5 stars. My family loves these cookies. I got this recipe from my Home Ec. Class when in school. The recipe tells how to make Brown Sugar Crispies - Substitute 1/2 cup packed brown sugar for the white sugar. Thanks for posting such a yummy recipe! Christine (internetnut)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- festive candy sprinkles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In another, medium-sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add this mixture to the larger bowl, beating with a hand-held mixer.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour.
- Heat the oven to 375°.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls.
- If you want to add sprinkles, place the balls into a shallow pan, such as a pie pan, that has a layer of sprinkles on the bottom.
- Gently flatten the dough into the sprinkles using the bottom of a glass.
- If you are not using sprinkles, dip the bottom of the glass in granulate sugar.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake until barely browned (these cookies are meant to be soft) or about 8 minutes.
- Immediately remove from the cookie sheet and lay on aluminum foil.