Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe source: Cuisine at Home.
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a food processor or blender combine vanilla bean with sugar until combined (30 sec.). Set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat combine cream, half and half and vanilla sugar until it simmers. DO NOT BOIL.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks, egg, 1/4 cup sugar and salt.
- Spoon a little of the hot cream into the egg mixture and then combine all the egg mixture with the cream mixture.
- Using a strainer (to remove vanilla pieces) strain into 6 ramekin or custard dishes and arrange in a large baking pan.
- Add hot water to the pan, about half way up dishes.
- Bake for 33-45 minutes or until set.
- Remove ramekins from pan and chill completely.
- Caramelize each custard by burning sugar on top or putting under broiler.
Yummy dessert and not hard to put together, because of the size of my ramkins, I only made four of these, we enjoyed these for a Saturday evening dessert after a wonderful lamb dinner, thanks Ellie!...Kitten:)