Recipe by Big Sis
This recipe came from a Betty Crocker Cookbook, 1972. I have since lost that book, however, I have always made my pudding, pies including the best banana pudding you will ever taste! I have altered the recipe to cook in the microwave, and have included stove top directions also. Every time I take this to a potluck, I have to give out recipes--so I thought I would just refer them here! I use this crust Pie Crust - Blue Ribbon Enjoy!
Top Review by hombredehielo
Great recipeThe slices stayed firm and didn't fall down. Used some bananas on top for decoration and sprayed the bananas with pam to keep them from turning black (air descolration). I love being able to use the same batch to make 3 or more kinds of pies. I add melted semisweet chocolate chips in additon to the baking chocolate. Chocolate chip cream pie would be anther spin off of the basic recipe. I always let the mixture cool before putting it in shell so it doesn't shrink from sides of pie shell. Great recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cooking on stovetop.
- Bake pie shell. Stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Blend milk and egg yolks; gradually stir into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; blend in butter and vanilla. Immediately pour into baked pie shell; press plastic wrap onto filling. Chill pie thoroughly, at least 2 hours. If desired, serve pie with sweetened whipped cream.
- Bake pie shell. Stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt in microwave glass mixing bowl. Blend milk and egg yolks; Whip with whisk well. Cook on high for 2 minutes at a time, take out and use wire whip to blend well and return to microwave for 2 more minutes. Continue this until mixture is of pudding consistency. Blend in butter and vanilla. Immediately pour into baked pie shell; press plastic wrap onto filling. Chill pie thoroughly, at least 2 hours. If desired, serve pie with sweetened whipped cream.
- Chocolate Cream Pie:.
- Follow recipe for 9-inch pie except-increase sugar to 1 1/2 cups and cornstarch to 1/3 cup. Omit butter and stir in 2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate with the vanilla.
- Coconut Cream Pie:.
- Decrease Vanilla to 2 teaspoons and stir in 1°C flaked coconut. Sprinkle flaked coconut over whipped cream on pie.
- Banana Pudding:.
- Make Vanilla Cream. Cool for 15-20 minutes. While cooling, line bottom of pan with vanilla wafers and top with sliced bananas.
- Cover with cooled pudding. Top with heavy cream (for every 8 oz of heavy cream add 4 t of sugar -- whip cream until stiff. Crush a few wafers and sprinkle on top.