Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this recipe because you have all different cream pie recipes in one and it's delicious! Add a cup of milk and you have pudding!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shells
- 3 egg whites (for meringue)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- in saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture boils and thickens.
- Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir small amount hot mixture into yolks.
- Return to hot mixture; cook 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla; cool to room temperature.
- Pour into baked pie shell----> Meringue: Beat 3 egg whites with cream of tartar and vanilla.
- Gradually add 6 Tbsp sugar till soft peaks form, spread atop pie.
- Bake in moderate oven 350°F 12 to 15 minutes.
- Variations of Vanilla Cream Pie-------------.
- Banana or Coconut or Butterscotch or Chocolate or Pineapple.
- Follow directions for vanilla cream pie substituting the following: for butterscotch pie substitute 1 cup brown sugar and use 3 Tbsp butter.
- For chocolate increase sugar to 1 cup and use approximately 4 tbsp cocoa.
- For banana layer three sliced bananas on crust and pour pie filling over.
- For pineapple, drain 1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple and stir into cream filling.
- You may also make this into a pudding by using 3 cups of milk instead of 2.
I tried the banana version of this pie minus the meringue. It is very good and easy to make as well.
This recipe is as good as Nancy says it is! I decreased the amount of sugar to 2/3 cup and added 1 cup of coconut for a delicious coconut cream pie. It was not difficult at all to prepare, and it passed the "Male Taste Test" with flying colors! I am anxious to make all the varieties of cream pies with this recipe. Thanks, Nancy! June Jackson
We were making Cherry Pie and we used the cream filling to use in the cherry pie and the steps were very easy and nice. It was all worth it in the end my family loved it.