I love this recipe because you have all different cream pie recipes in one and it's delicious! Add a cup of milk and you have pudding!
- in saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture boils and thickens.
- Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir small amount hot mixture into yolks.
- Return to hot mixture; cook 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla; cool to room temperature.
- Pour into baked pie shell----> Meringue: Beat 3 egg whites with cream of tartar and vanilla.
- Gradually add 6 Tbsp sugar till soft peaks form, spread atop pie.
- Bake in moderate oven 350°F 12 to 15 minutes.
- Variations of Vanilla Cream Pie-------------.
- Banana or Coconut or Butterscotch or Chocolate or Pineapple.
- Follow directions for vanilla cream pie substituting the following: for butterscotch pie substitute 1 cup brown sugar and use 3 Tbsp butter.
- For chocolate increase sugar to 1 cup and use approximately 4 tbsp cocoa.
- For banana layer three sliced bananas on crust and pour pie filling over.
- For pineapple, drain 1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple and stir into cream filling.
- You may also make this into a pudding by using 3 cups of milk instead of 2.
I tried the banana version of this pie minus the meringue. It is very good and easy to make as well.
This recipe is as good as Nancy says it is! I decreased the amount of sugar to 2/3 cup and added 1 cup of coconut for a delicious coconut cream pie. It was not difficult at all to prepare, and it passed the "Male Taste Test" with flying colors! I am anxious to make all the varieties of cream pies with this recipe. Thanks, Nancy! June Jackson
It was pretty good. I made my own crust and with salted butter and it was a perfect balance of sweet and salty so yummy. I do wish that the creme wasn't so sweet so next time I will add less sugar and more flour to make it thicker. When I baked it the cream had some syrup in the pan where the creme had melted a little. But yummy taste! The meringue I had trouble keeping it up and so it was weeping but great overall!! :)