Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil and coat with vegetable oil.
- In a 3 quart, heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the cream, sugar, vanilla and honey.
- Place over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Wash down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to get rid of any lurking sugar particles.
- Increase heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Boil it until a candy thermometer registers 250, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Fish out the vanilla bean with a fork, and stir in the butter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- DO NOT scrape the bottom of the pot.
- This will ruin the texture of your caramel, as the stuff sticking to the bottom tends to overcook a bit.
- Let caramel cool completely at room temperature before disturbing.
- leave it at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Coat a cutting board and chef's knife with oil.
- Lift out the caramel (on the foil), and invert it onto the board.
- Cut into squares.
- They will keep approximately 2 weeks before they start to go grainy.