Recipe by Ceezie
The French vanilla flavor blend adds a rich buttery vanilla flavor to this creamy homemade custard. This recipe came from Land O Lakes website.
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- fresh berries, if desired (optional)
- mint leaf, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornstarch and brown sugar in heavy 2-quart saucepan; stir until well mixed. Add milk and half & half; stir until well mixed.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pan, until mixture thickens and begins to boil (12 to 14 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl. Very slowly pour 1 1/2 cups hot milk mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly. Slowly pour egg mixture back into hot milk mixture in saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil (2 to 3 minutes). Immediately, remove from heat. Stir in butter and French vanilla flavoring blend.
- Divide custard among 6 individual serving dishes. Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until serving time. Garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves, if desired.
- Recipe Tip: It is important to slowly add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks and stir constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.