Recipe by K1968
This is a recipe I found on the web one day when trying to decide what to do with some over ripe bananas I had. I changed the recipe which was originally just a banana bread to include a vanilla bean and cinnamon, I also changed the sugar for organic honey and did a 50/50 mix of wholemeal and bread flour. This bread smells so delicious when cooking. It is very nice with just butter on but to be really decadent try it with Nutella.....Yum!
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour (I used spelt)
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole meal flour (I used organic)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla pod (optional)
- 1 egg, for glazing
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwave safe jug or bowl place the milk, butter and honey.
- microwave for about 45 seconds or until butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of flour, yeast, salt, 2 eggs, bananas, cinnamon, vanilla, scrape vanilla pod and add seeds and milk mixture.
- Beat on low speed until combined.
- Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a round loaf or loaf of your choice.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; cut slits in tops. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg with water; brush over the loaves.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes.