Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet tried this, but will add my own comments when I do.
- 4 pears, firm, cored and peeled (D'Anjou or Bosc)
- 2 quarts apple cider, organic
- 1 vanilla bean, split and quartered
- 2 oranges, organic, juiced, peeled, chopped (pith removed)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Cut pears in half lengthwise and place them in one layer in a pan.
- Cover with cider (start with 3 cups).
- Add vanilla bean and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until barely tender (8 to 10 minutes- time will vary depending on ripeness of pears)- test with wooden skewer.
- Allow pears to cool in the cider (refrigerate overnight if you wish).
- Thinly slice orange peel, removing all white pith.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave over low heat, stir in peel and stir to coat.
- Arrange to dry on a rack or plate.
- At serving time, serve each pear in a bowl with fresh orange juice and a sprinkle of candied peel.
EXCELLENT recipe!!! Very easy & I love that there is no added sugar. p.s. what is 'IHHDRO'? Thanks for the fab dessert!