Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A decadent cheesecake with vanilla flavor using a vanilla bean, and a fantastic chocolate glaze - a super recipe from Martha Stewart -
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 11 crackers)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lenghtwise
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°F
- In a small saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons butter. In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in melted butter until crumbs are moist. Pour mixture into a 9-inch springform pan; press firmly, forming a 1/2-inch crust up sides of pan. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Reduce temperature to 275°F In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add remaining cup sugar. Scrape in vanilla seeds; reserve pod for another use. Beat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle in eggs, one at a time, stopping occasionally to scrape down bowl, Beat in sour cream and salt, Pour batter into crust.
- Bake cheesecake until sides have set but center appears soft, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool. Run a paring knife around the ourside of crust, loosening it from pan. When cool, cover tightly with plastic; let set at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve place chocolate, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and cream in top of double boiler, or a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, Srir occasionally until melted. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Pour chocolate glaze over cheesecake; spread into a circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Chill just until chocolate has set, about 10 minutes.