Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy cupcakes with a light and fluffy texture. From Gimme Some Oven.
Make and share this Vanilla Chai Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons chai mixed spice (see recipe below)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Chai Spice Ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- remainder of the chai mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon cold milk, if needed to thin out the buttercream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a small bowl or plastic bag, combine the chai spice mix ingredients. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and beat in one egg at a time. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the chai spice mix. Fold in the flour and buttermilk alternately and stir until combined, don’t over mix. Mix together the baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl, then add it to the batter and mix until combined.
- Spoon into prepared cupcake tins until 3/4 full and bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Buttercream Directions:.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter until it is creamy. On low, mix in the vanilla and the rest of the chai spice mix. Carefully beat in the powdered sugar about ½ cup at a time. If the buttercream is too thick add 1-2 tbs of cold milk until the desired consistency is reached. Then pipe onto cooled cupcakes with your favorite frosting tip.
I tried it and this was absolutely fantastic! My husband gobbled it up! I used my big cupcake pan (6 cupcakes). I made as directed. I halfed the frosting and it was plenty. I didn't sift the powdered sugar and it came out fine -- nice and creamy. I also didn't have cardamom and it still smelled and tasted very much like chai. I can't wait to find cardamom in the store and make this again. An absolute keeper! Light, fluffy, moist and delicious. Thanks for posting!