Prep 4 mins
Cook 15 mins
This will replace the expensive syrup you buy to make flavored coffee or espresso. I think it is as good as "Torani" or "Davinci". This recipe will nearly fill an empty 23 oz. bottle.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups hot water (from your tap)
- 2 vanilla beans
- 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons caramel extract
- Slice vanilla beans lengthwise with a sharp knife, use sharp edge of knife to scrape out the inside of the bean against the cutting board.
- Put the scrapings and the outer beans in a sauce pan.
- Put all other ingredients in the pan and heat on low stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium for a few more minutes (3-5) stirring constantly.
- Do not boil.
- Filter your hot syrup through a Melitta and coffee filter or through a strainer and cheese cloth.
- This is to remove the bean skins and any sediment.
- Cool syrup and pour into a tall glass bottle, an old wine bottle or empty coffee syrup bottles work great and are the right size.
This is an AWESOME, very simple recipe!!! I made it without the caramel and did not use vanilla extract. I used 1c. vanilla sugar, 1c. regular sugar, and 1 vanilla bean -- YUMMY!
Great syrup. My family loves it so much we are making a huge batch and giving it as holiday gifts to teachers and friends.