Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is sweet and salty. I used a combination of microwave popcorn and homemade popcorn and the only thing I might try next time is to add some peanuts or cashews to the mix. Recipe courtesy of Janel Andrews of Jerome, Idaho and Taste of Home Holiday Celebrations Cookbook 2008. Thank you Janel! Serving size is estimated.
- 3 (3 1/3 ounce) packagesbutter-flavored microwave popcorn (3 packages, 3.3 oz each)
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pop popcorn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to 2 very large bowls and discard any unpopped kernels.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Carefully stir in milk and butter and return to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour over popcorn and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on greased 15x10x1" baking pans.
- Bake at 250 for 40 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool.
- Break into clusters.
- Store popcorn in airtight containers or plastic bags.