Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
Easy Vanilla Frosting:
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Mix vanilla with butter or margarine. Gradually blend in sugar.
- Beat in 1 egg yolk.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat 4 of the egg whites until they stand in soft, stiff peaks.
- Fold into mixture. Divide batter into 2 equal parts and blend 4 egg yolks and yellow food coloring into 1 part. Drop white and yellow batters alternately into well-greased, lightly floured 10 x 4-inch tube pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cak e tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool in pan 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto cake rack to finish cooling.
- Frost top and sides with Easy Vanilla Frosting.
- Easy Vanilla Frosting: Place all ingredients in small deep bowl of electric mixer.
- Beat with mixer at high speed until very stiff.
- Spread over top
easy. and the kids loved it! plus. its not too sweet, and you can present it well.