Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, ground (optional)
- Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and beat. Add flour, milk and baking powder.
- Add vanilla and nuts.
- Place in greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees until top of cake springs back when touched (about 30 minutes).
this cake was alright, but i found it very dry, and flavourless [i even added a little extra vanilla]. i dont know if i'll make it again.
I'm giving this recipe five stars because it was easily made vegan. While it didn't have a lot of flavor (I'll make a note to use more vanilla next time), the batter was a wonderful consistency and it baked and rose nicely. I made cupcakes and they turned out moist and fluffy. The icing I made was sweet and flavorful, so that made up for the miminal flavor in the cupcakes themselves.
I substituted the shortening for margarine.....awesome recipe I used it to make cup cakes they came out awesome!