Top Review by Caryn
I love making pound cakes and was excited to try one using evaporated milk and a combination of butter/shortening. This recipe produced a very nice moist pound cake but I did not care for the vanilla butternut flavoring. The artificial butter flavor took away from the natural butter flavor and almost made it taste like a cake mix. The flavoring I used was orange in appearance and the cake took on a very yellow color which made you think it might be a lemon pound cake. I will definitely make this pound cake again but I'll use vanilla extract in place of the vanilla butternut flavoring. [I opened the oven and checked on the cake at about 1 hr 20 minutes and every 5 minutes after to make sure that I didn't overbake the pound cake - mine came out at 1 hr 35 minutes.]
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can evaporated milk (add enough whole milk to make 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla butternut flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN, must start in COLD oven.
- Cream shortening, butter, sugar and salt.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour and milk alternating small amounts of each.
- Fold in flavoring by hand.
- Bake in greased tube pan for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 325*.
- DO NOT open oven door while baking.
- Remove from pan immediately.