Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe from The Taste of Home Cookbook. I made it to decorate cupcakes. It was great. I made the recipe for 12 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Almond Buttercream Frosting : Substitute 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon almond extract for the vanilla.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting : Reduce confectioners' sugar to 4 cups and add 1/2 cup baking cocoa; increase milk to 6-7 tablespoons.
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting : Substitute 5-6 tablespoons lemon juice for the milk; add 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel.
- Orange Buttercream Frosting : Substitute 5-6 tablespoons orange juice for the milk; add 1 teaspoon grated orange peel.
- Peanut Butter Frosting : Substitute peanut butter for the butter; increase milk to 6-8 tablespoons.
- Peppermint Buttercream Frosting : Substitute 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract for the vanilla.
A great standard frosting recipe. It was the perfect amount to frost decorate a little cake I made for my niece to smash into for her first birthday! I think this will be my go-to recipe for frosting sugar cookies.
A really good little frosting recipe.
I went with the lemon variation on DD's instructions ( although I really wanted chocolate or peanut butter!). It was a great choice though..the lemon cut through the sweetness of the icing sugar and the richness of the butter just perfectly, without being too tart.
Can't wait to try the others now...
Made for PRMR.