Top Review by SilverLeaf
This tasted good in the end, but intially it curdled horribly! I set it back over the simmering water for a little while, beating all the time, then removed it from the heat and beat it a bit more, then left it in the fridge for half an hour before beating it some more: this certainly cured the curdling (although it was probably an unnecessarily over-elaborate way of doing so!) It also tasted quite 'fatty' so I would definitely try it with a bit less butter next time. I also tried adding some melted plain chocolate to half the batch (the amount would equate to adding 1lb to the size of recipe given here): this tasted excellent, although it did set very firm. I would omit the salt if making the chocolate version.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks,cut into cubes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Set electric mixer bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar until sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Remove bowl from pan.
- Whip mixture at high speed until stiff.
- Reduce speed and beat until cool, 5 minutes. (mixture must be cool before adding butter).
- Add cold butter 1 piece at a time at medium low speed.
- After all butter is added, beat at high speed until fluffy.
- Add salt and vanilla and mix at low speed until well blended.
- Time to frost the cupcakes!