Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on the website cakecentral.com. They referred to it as Yellow Butter Cake from the Mermaid Bakery, but since I have no way of knowing for sure which Mermaid Bakery this came from,(there was no Mermaid Bakery when I goggled it, but a couple different variations- like mermaids bakery, little mermaid bakery, etc), so I left it out of the title :) A great from scratch version of a basic box cake- but here you can actually pronounce the ingredients! Unlike most yellow cake box mixes! The possibilities are endless for this one!! *** Note: all ingredients should be room temp- yes, it does make a difference!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- almost 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (cut back if you use salted butter!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add one Tablespoon vinegar to a one cup measuring cup and fill with milk to measure one cup (that explains the almost one cup milk!).
- Grease and flour pans (9X13, 3=8″, 2=9″, or 1=10″).
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Mix the vanilla into the milk and set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Add flour to butter/sugar/eggs in two parts, alternating with the milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.