Recipe by BrotherAdso
This original cake recipe is not quite so rich and dense as a pound cake (but almost!) nor so sweet and fluffy as a yellow cake (but almost!) – I think it’s the ratios and buttermilk that do it. I Made this for a party, iced half with a simple peanut butter caramel and left half plain. It got sucked down, but not before I noticed it was a nice balance of textures and tastes.
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract or 4 teaspoons almond extract or 4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease or spray 9 x 13 or 10-inch bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 350° or 325°.
- Mix together thoroughly the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix together thoroughly the three sugars in a bowl.
- Combine butter and sugars until the mixture is creamy and air is well incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and the flavoring, beating thoroughly after each addition to emulsify.
- Alternate adding flour and buttermilk, ending with buttermilk. Make sure not to overmix!