Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Modified from Ally's Kitchen Blog (www.allyskitchen.com) -- Original recipe can be found at http://www.allyskitchen.com/2013/08/20/vanilla-bean-sweet-butter/ --- Good on banana bread, oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, french toast, toast, or biscuits! Serve from an airtight container, or shape into a log and freeze! Chill time equals freeze time. For added variety, add the zest of one lemon, lime, or orange, and increase the sugar to 1 1/2 tablespoons!
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter (at room temperature) or 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Vanilla Bean Sweet Citrus Butter
- 1 lemon, zest of (optional)
- 1 lime, zest of (optional)
- 1 orange, zest of (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- Put the room temperature butter in a bowl.
- Open and scrape the insides of the vanilla bean. Add to the butter.
- Add powdered sugar and blend all together.
- If making citrus butter, add optional citrus zest, 1/2 tablespoon additional powdered sugar to the butter mixture, and mix well.
- Store butter mixture in an airtight container.
- Or, if a log shape is desired, scrape the softened butter onto about an 8″ sheet of plastic wrap.
- Flip one part of the plastic wrap over the butter and mold into the desired shape about 8″ long. Roll the shaped log in the wrap and put in the freezer until hard. Freeze for 2-3 hours, then loosen and pull away the plastic wrap.
- Ready to cut and serve!
- Yield: 1/2 cup; 24 (1 teaspoon) servings.
- Note: Original recipe can be found at http://www.allyskitchen.com/2013/08/20/vanilla-bean-sweet-butter/.
This is a very good compound butter. Takes just minutes if you don't feel the need to get fancy making a butter roll (I didn't). Tried it out on Recipe #250694 for a heavenly treat. Thanks for sharing Kerfuffle. :D