Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 5 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in heavy medium saucepan.
- Using sharp knife scrape seeds from vanilla bean, add seeds and bean into saucepan Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes to infuse flavors.
- Strain into measuring cup.
- Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl.
- Temper egg yolks with creme.
- Return mixture to measuring cup.
- Pour custard into ramekins.
- Place in water bath and bake 35-40 minutes until custard is set, when you gently shake the pan the centers will jiggle just a little Transfer to cooling rack for 30 minutes and chill at least 2 hours.