Recipe by Dona England
From Epicurious.com. The recipe is by Abigail Johnson Dodge. You might want to reduce the coconut milk the day before, it takes awhile. The reduced coconut milk adds big flavor.
- 2 (13 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetned flaked coconut, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring coconut milk to boil in a large deep sauce pan over medium high heat. (The coconut will boil up high in the pan). Reduce heat to medium low, boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. This may take 30 -45 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- For Cupcakes:.
- Position rack in center of oven, preheat to 350f. Line 18 1/3 cup muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- Using electric mixed, beat 3/4 cups butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Add 1 1/3 cups sugar, beat on medium-high speed until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.
- Beat in seeds from 1 vanilla bean ( or use 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract) and remaining egg.
- Add half of flour mixture, mix on low speed until just blended.
- Add 1 cup of the reduced coconut milk, mix until just blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture, mix on low speed until just blended.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake until tops spring back when touched gently and tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to rack, cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely.
- For Frosting:.
- Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter until smooth. Adds powdered sugar, 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk, seeds from vanilla bean (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract) and salt.
- Beat on medium low speed until blended, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Increase to medium high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled. Sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes on top.