Dona England's Note:
From Epicurious.com. The recipe is by Abigail Johnson Dodge. You might want to reduce the coconut milk the day before, it takes awhile. The reduced coconut milk adds big flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (13 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sweetned flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1Bring coconut milk to boil in a large deep sauce pan over medium high heat. (The coconut will boil up high in the pan). Reduce heat to medium low, boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. This may take 30 -45 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- 2For Cupcakes:.
- 3Position rack in center of oven, preheat to 350f. Line 18 1/3 cup muffin cups with paper liners.
- 4Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- 5Using electric mixed, beat 3/4 cups butter in large bowl until smooth.
- 6Add 1 1/3 cups sugar, beat on medium-high speed until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- 7Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.
- 8Beat in seeds from 1 vanilla bean ( or use 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract) and remaining egg.
- 9Add half of flour mixture, mix on low speed until just blended.
- 10Add 1 cup of the reduced coconut milk, mix until just blended.
- 11Add remaining flour mixture, mix on low speed until just blended.
- 12Divide batter among muffin cups.
- 13Bake until tops spring back when touched gently and tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- 14Transfer to rack, cool 10 minutes.
- 15Carefully remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely.
- 16For Frosting:.
- 17Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter until smooth. Adds powdered sugar, 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk, seeds from vanilla bean (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract) and salt.
- 18Beat on medium low speed until blended, scraping down sides of bowl.
- 19Increase to medium high and beat until light and fluffy.
- 20Frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled. Sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes on top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Bean-Coconut Cupcakes With Coconut Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (2243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.3
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 82.7 mg
- Sodium 161.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: