Recipe by Oolala
From Newsday's Parents & Children, June/2006 from Steven Raichlen's "Raichlen on Ribs" cookbook. Sounds interesting and delicious but haven't tried it yet. Guessed yield and time to make!
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomato sauce, molasses, vinegar, Worsestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, Tobasco, liquid smoke, vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoons each of salt and pepper in a non-reactive saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and let sauce simmer gently until dark, thick, richly flavored and slightly reduced, 6-10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more liquid smoke, salt and pepper as needed.
- Let sauce cool to room temperature before serving. Keep in a well sealed container in refrigerator for up to several weeks. Makes enough for 4 lbs. ribs.