Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Enjoy this delicious cake year round. It can be made simple for the family or let your imagination run and decorate it for a birthday, party or winter holiday.
- 453.59 g firm apple, peeled, cored and chopped into fine pieces
- 14.79 ml brandy
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 1 large pinch ground cloves
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 170.09 g unsalted butter
- 1 of a vanilla bean
- 6 eggs, separated
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml salt
- 295.73 ml sugar
VANILLA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 113.39 g unsalted butter
- 198.44 g cream cheese
- 177.44 ml powdered sugar
- seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 10-inch springform cake pan with parchment lined bottom and set aside.
- Placed prepared apples in a bowl and pour brandy over the apples.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves and baking powder, and set aside.
- Strip the vanilla seeds from the bean, then place the seeds, pod and butter into a small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until the butter turns brown it will take on a nutty smell and will have an intense vanilla flavor.
- Remove the vanilla bean and let cool to room temperature.
- Separate the eggs and whip the yolks with the vanilla extract and salt. When the egg yolks start to change color and start to get fluffy, add 3/4 cup of the sugar and continue to whip until light in color.
- Fold in the butter mixture, then fold in the sifted flour mixture (the batter will be thick).
- Fold in apples and Brandy.
- Whip the egg whites until fluffy, then add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to whip until stiff.
- Fold the whites into the cake batter in thirds.
- When well mixed, pour into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, run a butter knife around the edge to loosen then turn out onto a plate and top with vanilla cream cheese frosting.
- Place the unsalted butter, vanilla seeds and the powdered sugar in the mixer with the paddle attachment (if available).
- Beat until soft and well creamed.
- Add the cream cheese and continue to mix until well combined.
- Spread on top of the cooled cake. Refrigerate the cake until the frosting is firm, about 30 minutes.
Very good! We enjoyed the addition of the cream cheese frosting. I made as written except used apple brandy because that is all I had on hand. Yum! Made for PRMR.