1 hr 25 mins
Enjoy this delicious cake year round. It can be made simple for the family or let your imagination run and decorate it for a birthday, party or winter holiday.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb firm apple, peeled, cored and chopped into fine pieces
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
VANILLA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 10-inch springform cake pan with parchment lined bottom and set aside.
- 3Placed prepared apples in a bowl and pour brandy over the apples.
- 4Sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves and baking powder, and set aside.
- 5Strip the vanilla seeds from the bean, then place the seeds, pod and butter into a small saucepan.
- 6Cook over low heat until the butter turns brown it will take on a nutty smell and will have an intense vanilla flavor.
- 7Remove the vanilla bean and let cool to room temperature.
- 8Separate the eggs and whip the yolks with the vanilla extract and salt. When the egg yolks start to change color and start to get fluffy, add 3/4 cup of the sugar and continue to whip until light in color.
- 9Fold in the butter mixture, then fold in the sifted flour mixture (the batter will be thick).
- 10Fold in apples and Brandy.
- 11Whip the egg whites until fluffy, then add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to whip until stiff.
- 12Fold the whites into the cake batter in thirds.
- 13When well mixed, pour into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 14Let the cake cool on a wire rack.
- 15When cool, run a butter knife around the edge to loosen then turn out onto a plate and top with vanilla cream cheese frosting.
- 17Place the unsalted butter, vanilla seeds and the powdered sugar in the mixer with the paddle attachment (if available).
- 18Beat until soft and well creamed.
- 19Add the cream cheese and continue to mix until well combined.
- 20Spread on top of the cooled cake. Refrigerate the cake until the frosting is firm, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Apple Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.7
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.0 mg
- Sodium 171.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 34.4 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: