Recipe by Bev
You can use the base of this recipe to make almond and/or vanilla buttercream frosting. The vanilla works wonderfully with most any cake flavor. The almond is highly recommended with a chocolate or devil's food cake. Note that the entire recipe makes 7 1/2 cups of frosting. I discovered this recipe in Bon Appetit, 2004.
- 709.77 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2484.19 ml powdered sugar (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 pounds)
- 44.37 ml whipping cream
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 0.39 ml yellow food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- For base frosting:.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, then cream and vanilla.
- If making both frostings: Divide between 2 bowls.
- For vanilla frosting:.
- Mix 1 teaspoon vanilla into 1 bowl of base frosting.
- For almond frosting:.
- Mix almond extract into second bowl of base frosting. Mix in yellow food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired shade is reached.