Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can use the base of this recipe to make almond and/or vanilla buttercream frosting. The vanilla works wonderfully with most any cake flavor. The almond is highly recommended with a chocolate or devil's food cake. Note that the entire recipe makes 7 1/2 cups of frosting. I discovered this recipe in Bon Appetit, 2004.
- For base frosting:.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, then cream and vanilla.
- If making both frostings: Divide between 2 bowls.
- For vanilla frosting:.
- Mix 1 teaspoon vanilla into 1 bowl of base frosting.
- For almond frosting:.
- Mix almond extract into second bowl of base frosting. Mix in yellow food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired shade is reached.
I love this recipe. I play with the proportions a little bit each time, but always go with the almond. Everyone RAVES about it. I will keep this recipe forever. Thank you!
I cut this recipe by sixths and it turned out wonderfully well! It is by far my favorite frosting recipe and is now in my "go to" file. My husband and son loved it. I am so, so thankful that I didn't settle for canned. Thanks, Bev, for an easy, fabulous frosting recipe.
I made this for a vanilla cake that I made for my DH's birthday. I used the almond flavoring because it's his favorite and the icing was outstanding. He raved about it and he's not an "icing" lover, but he told me to definitely keep this recipe! Thanks for a great recipe, Bev!