Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
A light but filling and flavorful salad that is perfect for picnics and cookouts
- 3 -4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 bunches scallions, minced
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Toss peeled, diced sweet potato chunks in canola oil, sesame oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, curry powder and salt until thoroughly coated. Spread evenly in jelly roll pan or large baking stone and roast in oven until lightly browned, around 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While sweet potatoes roast:.
- --Prepare bell peppers, scallions, sesame seeds and cilantro, set aside.
- --Combine extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice, salt, cumin and pepper in jar or dressing cruet; shake well to combine. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are room temperature, combine them in large bowl with bell peppers, scallions, sesame seeds and cilantro; add dressing and mix thoroughly. Can be served at room temperature or chilled.
A perfect salad for the hot summer months. There is no mayo or heavy dressing to go bad. It went very well with ham and roasted asparagus. The citrus in the dressing became lemon because that is what I had on had. The oil was reduced by about half. I used a red bell pepper and with the scallions this was a beautiful dish. I will be making this one again very soon.