Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Please leave your calorie counters at home! Cooking Notes: Eggnog should be chilled at least 4 hours before serving and served within 24 hours. To keep the eggnog cold, place a pint of vanilla ice cream in the punch bowl. It will slowly melt, and its flavor will complement the eggnog. Amaretto Eggnog: Delete the bourbon. substitute 1 cup amaretto for the brandy. decrease the superfine sugar to 1 cup. if desired, add 1/4 tsp almond extract. When serving, substitute toasted almond ice cream for the vanilla ice cream
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup brandy
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1 1⁄2 quarts heavy cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (for serving)
- grated fresh nutmeg (for serving)
- In a large bowl, using a mixer at high speed, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Beat in the rum, brandy, and bourbon, then the cream.
- In another large bowl, using a mixer at high speed, and using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Stir into the eggnog.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until well-chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Transfer to a punchbowl.
- Using scissors, cut the container away from the ice cream, keeping the ice cream intact in one piece.
- Place the ice cream in the eggnog.
- Grate the nutmeg over the eggnog.
- Serve immediately.