Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
From epicurious.com. You will need 6 4 oz ramekins.
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 354.88 ml whole milk
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 127.57 g valrhona bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (61%)
- 5 large egg yolks
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 275°F.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan with tip of a paring knife, then add pod, milk, cream, and sugar and bring just to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add chocolate and cook over moderately high heat, stirring gently with a whisk, until chocolate is melted and mixture just boils. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a metal bowl. Set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Whisk in yolks, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-quart measure, discarding pod and any other solids.
- Divide mixture among ramekins. Bake in a water bath until puddings are just set around edge but centers wobble when ramekins are gently shaken, about 1 hour.
- Cool puddings in water bath 1 hour, then remove from water and chill, uncovered, until cold, at least 1 hour.