Valerie in Florida's Note:
A very traditional, Italian meat sauce that I have adapted from several different recipes to create my own delicious gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pork chops
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 (28 ounce) cans peeled Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
For the Meatballs
- 1TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS:.
- 2Mix all ingredients together.
- 3Form into meatballs.
- 4Heat Canola oil in fry pan at medium.
- 5Fry meatballs on all sides. Do not overcook as you will continue to cook meatballs in sauce.
- 6Remove and set aside on some paper towels to absorb some of the fat.
- 7TO MAKE THE SAUCE:.
- 8Heat 2-Tbsp oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. Brown pork chops on both sides. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- 9Remove from pan.
- 10Add sausages, brown on all sides and remove from pan.
- 11Drain most of fat from pot.
- 12Add garlic and cook for about 2-minutes. Do not burn !
- 13Add tomatoes with their juices to the pot (I put the tomatoes first in a blender and pulse about three times to break up the tomatoes).
- 14Add water, salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Add pork, sausages and basil and bring sauce to a simmer.
- 16Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2-hours.
- 17After 2 hours, add the meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or so.
- 18Serve with pasta of choice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Valerie's Sunday Gravy (meat Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (680 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 856.0
- Calories from Fat 475
- Total Fat 52.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 217.9 mg
- Sodium 1794.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 55.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
extra lean beef