1/2 Photos of Valentine's Day Pasta in Pink Beetroot Sauce
Wild Thyme Flour's Note:
This is a vegetarian dish ( if you don't use anchovies, instead replace with parmesan ) but you may put some steamed peeled prawns on top or a tbsp of black caviar. The beetroot are roasted with their skin on in the oven until tender, this makes them taste better then boiled. By 2 small beetroot, I mean small. When I used 2 medium the sauce was a rather dark pink ( like the picture I will be posting. The other time I made it ( with small beetroot) the colour looked nicer. Gluten free version listed in ingredients, obviously using gluten free pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g penne rigate (or GF pasta)
- 2 small beetroots, roasted (or 1 medium)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, mashed with fork (or 4 tbsp parmesan)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup cream (or 1 cup soya cream)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Peel the roasted beetroot, chop then rinse quickly under running water to remove exess colour. Let them drip in a colander.
- 2Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onions, carrots and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- 3Add the anchovy and the chopped beetroot and cook a further 10 minutes, mixing from time to time. Add the white wine and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 4Blend with the cream in a blender until smooth, season to taste.
- 5Return to a saucepan, add the chopped herbs and heat through.
- 6Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the pasta , drain and toss with the sauce for 30 seconds.
- 7Serve hot in white or black plates for great effect and sprinkle with some extra chopped herbs.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Valentine's Day Pasta in Pink Beetroot Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.6
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 137.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g