Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a vegetarian dish ( if you don't use anchovies, instead replace with parmesan ) but you may put some steamed peeled prawns on top or a tbsp of black caviar. The beetroot are roasted with their skin on in the oven until tender, this makes them taste better then boiled. By 2 small beetroot, I mean small. When I used 2 medium the sauce was a rather dark pink ( like the picture I will be posting. The other time I made it ( with small beetroot) the colour looked nicer. Gluten free version listed in ingredients, obviously using gluten free pasta.
- 500 g penne rigate (or GF pasta)
- 2 small beetroots, roasted (or 1 medium)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, mashed with fork (or 4 tbsp parmesan)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup cream (or 1 cup soya cream)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Peel the roasted beetroot, chop then rinse quickly under running water to remove exess colour. Let them drip in a colander.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onions, carrots and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the anchovy and the chopped beetroot and cook a further 10 minutes, mixing from time to time. Add the white wine and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Blend with the cream in a blender until smooth, season to taste.
- Return to a saucepan, add the chopped herbs and heat through.
- Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the pasta , drain and toss with the sauce for 30 seconds.
- Serve hot in white or black plates for great effect and sprinkle with some extra chopped herbs.