Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's a snap to spell out sweet sentiments on these quaint cupcakes when you bake a batch ahead of time using convenient cake mix. You don't even need a heart-shaped muffin tin to make them.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packagepillsbury moist supreme white cake mix (or substitute different cake mix & necessary eggs, water, oil)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon butter flavoring (optional)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 -2 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1 -2 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions using water, oil and eggs.
- Place paper or foil liners in a heart-shaped or standard muffin tin**.
- **NOTE: If using standard muffin tin, fold up 28 small pieces of foil into small ball shape and once liners have the batter in them, place foil ball between pan and liner to create heart shape form while baking.
- Fill cups half full of batter.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and shortening in a small mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla and butter flavoring if desired.
- Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in milk until light and fluffy.
- Divide frosting into fourths; place in flour separate bowls.
- Leave one bowl untinted.
- Add food coloring to the other three bowls; stir until well blended.
- Frost cupcakes; pipe untinted frosting around edges and decorate tops with Valentine phrases.
I haven't tried this recipe but I have to say a huge thanks for the idea of how to make a heart-shaped muffin with foil. I like the idea of hearts but I can't justify buying expensive mufffin tins just for a once a year romantic dinner. Thanks again and I will definitely try this out!